Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd is pleased to announce the release of the Df, a light and smaller-size full frame D-SLR equipped with mechanical dials for setting shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, exposure compensation, exposure mode and release mode independently to bring users the ultimate in flexibility and control.
The Df features world-class Nikon imaging technology, including a 16.2-megapixel full frame CMOS sensor and the EXPEED 3 image processing engine, with an ISO range of 100-12800 (expandable from 50 to 204800), to deliver exceptional images. The compact design, coupled with the full frame sensor, makes it the perfect fit for photographers seeking portability without compromising on image quality.
“The new Nikon Df seamlessly combines the best features of Nikon’s milestone cameras and our cutting-edge imaging technology in a compact form factor. The camera’s iconic design, the attention to details on ultimate usability, and its advanced imaging capabilities place it at the forefront of Nikon’s innovation,” said Uemura Kimito, General Manager, International Marketing Division, Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd.
Designed to offer a distinctive look for photographers, the Df is packed with the ultimate in Nikon’s imaging technology. The camera features a shutter release mode that enables users to capture a high-speed continuous stream of images at approximately 5.5 frames per second. In addition, as the first Nikon digital SLR camera equipped with a collapsible metering coupling lever, the Df allows photographers to make use of the full range of Nikon lenses, including non-AI lenses. The camera is also compatible with the SDXC and UHS-I standard memory cards, as well as the Eye-Fi cards.
High-quality imaging experience in an iconic design
1. Uncompromising photographic performance: The Df is Nikon’s smallest and lightest full-frame format D-SLR with an image sensor equivalent to those used in Nikon D4. The camera offers low-light, HDR and Active D-Lighting capabilities and improved white balance with the option to retain the ambience of lighting colours to offer unsurpassed accuracy and precision in capturing images. Highquality sensors make it ideal for photographers in search of a lighter and smaller camera without sacrificing image quality.
2. 16.2-megapixel FX-format CMOS Sensor: The 16.2-megapixel CMOS sensor on the Df provides users with an extensive ISO range of 100-12800 (expandable from 50 to 204800). This enables users to capture photographs in low light with true-to-life colours.
3. Scene Recognition System: Information from the 2016-pixel RGB sensor and image sensor is used to recognize the subject or scene prior to capture. The results are then reflected in Auto Exposure (AE), Autofocus (AF) and Auto White Balance (AWB) options for more accurate control.
Luxurious styling in a highly portable frame
1. The ultimate in style: The camera is offered in black and silver with a leatherette finish that enhances comfort and is reminiscent of Nikon’s milestone masterpieces. The styling combines a high quality, modern metallic finish with the texture of synthetic leather found on classic silver-halide film cameras. The stylish yet durable design includes magnesium alloys for the top, rear and bottom covers and provides superior weather-resistant and anti-dust capabilities. The compact body measures approximately 143.5 X 110 X 66.5 mm (W X H X D) and weighs about 710 grams.
2. Timeless design: While paying homage to manual-focus lenses, the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G (Special Edition) has been specifically designed to offer a tone and texture designed to match the Df. The lens has a leather-tone exterior finish and a silver aluminium ring. Knurling patterns used in manual-focus lenses has been adopted for the focus ring. In addition, an optical design utilizing an aspherical lens element enables both sharp rendering and beautiful bokeh. This compact, lightweight, and fast fixed focal length lens is perfectly suited to the flexible, nimble photography that the Df was designed for.
3. Mechanical dials: The Df gives photographers total camera control through the use of mechanical dial operations, featuring independent dials for setting shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, exposure compensation, exposure mode and release mode. Using a combination of both the mechanical and command dials, the shutter speed can be set in steps of 1/3 Exposure Value (EV). Camera control using mechanical dials ensures accessible and reliable operation, where settings can be intuitively adjusted and set values can always be selected. In addition to providing enhanced operability, the clickstops also deliver a sense of analog style.
High-speed performance without compromise
1. EXPEED 3 image-processing engine: The Df boasts high-speed processing power with its EXPEED 3 image-processing engine. The camera is also capable of capturing bursts of images at up to 5.5 frames per second in FX and DXformats. With image processing capabilities equivalent to that of the D4, the camera offers outstanding image quality at both high and low sensitivities. Low light areas are depicted with natural tone gradation while highlights are reproduced with rich and smooth gradation. The refined resulting images capture the natural mood and colouring while retaining vividness, even in challenging conditions.
2. Ready when you are: Smooth high-speed operations are further enhanced by a power-up time of just 0.14 seconds3 and a release time lag of approximately 0.052 seconds3. The camera boasts a glass pentaprism high-performance optical viewfinder with approximately 100% frame coverage (FX format). The 3.2-inch LCD monitor offers a wide-viewing angle and a resolution of approximately 921,000 pixels. Virtual Horizon feature that detects the rolling directions is displayed on both the LCD monitor and in the viewfinder. 3Measured in accordance with CIPA guidelines. 3. Quiet shutter release mode: The Df is also equipped with the quiet shutterrelease mode, providing users the ability to photograph subjects with minimal disruption. The mode allows the mirror to flip down when the shutter-release button returns to the half-pressed position, as opposed to flipping down while the button is fully pressed. This delays the timing of the click made by the mirror and produces a quieter sound than a regular shutter actuation.
4. 39-point Autofocus System: The Df is equipped with the Multi-CAM 4800 autofocus sensor module, bringing about a unique 39-point Autofocus (AF) system to cater to a wide variety of shooting conditions. Featuring AF modes that are useful in various photography situations, users can select single point AF, dynamic AF, 3D tracking or auto-area AF to keep pace with moving subjects throughout the frame. The 39-point AF system is compatible with an aperture value of up to f/8 for capturing impressively sharp images in all situations.
5. Power-saving design for worry-free shooting: The adoption of a more efficient power supply circuitry, combined with the use of EXPEED 3 which consumes little power, minimizes the camera’s power consumption. When paired with the fully-charged compact and lightweight Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL14a supplied with the camera, approximately 1,4004 still images can be captured.
Intuitive usability features
1. Information display: The graphical user interface design has been optimized to an original monotone colour that matches the styling of the Df’s body. An auto information display function, common to popular models, makes its appearance in a high-calibre camera for the first time. This enables quick confirmation of settings while complementing the streamlined top control panel display. The Df also offers enhanced options for information display during live view shooting.
2. Picture Control: The Df features Nikon’s original picture creation system that gives photographers the flexibility to choose and adjust their desired image settings. Picture Control can also be set and adjusted while composing a live view image. The camera also allows image area selection for FX and DX formats. Furthermore, the playback function enables photographers to view 72 picture thumbnails at a time, making it easier to search and select shots.
3. Info button: The camera features an info button that has been improved to allow access to frequently-used functions according to the photographic situation. It also provides users with quick and direct access to the Picture Control menu display.
1. Flexible lens and accessory options: The Df is compatible with the full range of classic Nikon lenses including non-AI lenses. It is the first Nikon digital SLR camera equipped with a collapsible metering coupling lever that enables the attachment of non-AI lenses. It also allows for full aperture metering equivalent to that of AI lenses via simple camera settings and lens information input. The camera fully supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System, wireless accessories, GPS unit and HDMI output.
The Nikon Df will be available in two colours (black and silver).
Pricing and availability will be advised at a later date.
For more information on the new Nikon Df and other Nikon products, please visit www.nikon.com.sg