With Vin Diesel returning to the xXx franchise this new year, we thought we’d take a look at 10 fun facts about the star, some of which you never knew.
1. His birth name is Mark Sinclair Vincent.
2. His mother’s background includes Scottish, English, and German. He has never met his biological father.
3. He made his stage debut at age seven when he appeared in the children’s play Dinosaur Door.
4. Diesel is known for his deep voice but he once said that his voice broke at around age 15, giving him a mature sounding voice on the telephone.
5. Speaking of deep voice, he actually in telemarketing while perusing a career in acting. A skill that later helped him raise nearly $50,000 to fund his first full length feature movie, Strays.
6. At the age of 17, he began working as a bouncer at a nightclub in New York called the Tunnel, where he got the name Vin Diesel. The name “Vin” is simply a shortened version of “Vincent”. And “Diesel” came from his friends, who said he ran off diesel fuel, referring to his non-stop energy.
7. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, he said he had to leverage his house to get his new movie, “Riddick,” the latest installment in a franchise that began with 2000’s “Pitch Black,” made. “If we didn’t finish the film, I would be homeless,” he told the magazine.
8. He could have been a superhero. Diesel was offered the role of Matt Murdock/Daredevil in the 2003 action movie Daredevil that ended up going to Ben Affleck.
9. Before Diesel became a professional actor, he tried his hand at some other creative pursuits, including some cringeworthy rapping and incredibly ‘80s breakdancing.
10. He’s got the weirdest fear in the world. Diesel has said that his biggest fear is of walking into a wall and busting his lip.
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage opens in cinemas 20 Jan 2017
Images courtesy of United International Pictures Singapore
© POPCulture Online 2016